29 Venture Concept No. 2
1)
The opportunity that has become the primary goal for this venture is clearly the problem of steam filling the bathroom and causing the mirrors to be too foggy to use. This has impacted countless men who need to be able to see their reflection clearly in order to shave, and often causes men and women to be late for events due to the difficulties. There are certainly some changing environmental factors that may allow the opportunity to be particularly valuable soon. As products around the house start becoming automated or connected via the Internet, the bathroom is the best place to exploit before it becomes too common. The window of opportunity for this product is slim, but I would say that it depends on which market I target.
Regarding the Defoginator, the primary innovation that I have in mind is a variation and improvement on the wiper blade system that is found in all cars. Additionally, there are existing bathroom mirrors with a blade that clears the fog from the mirror, but what makes the Defoginator superior is that it is meant to be used in the shower. With a waterproof casing, drop-proof mirror, portable size, and detachable hanger the Defoginator is the only type of mirror that can be regularly used without difficulty inside of a running shower. Beyond this ability, the product may include Bluetooth capabilities enabling users to choose wiper speed, rate, and other customizations via cell phone app. Currently I envision two variations on the Defoginator being offered to consumers. Both would feature all of the main components, but the more expensive version would be Bluetooth integrated. For the primary Defoginator, the cost of building it is low compared to the similar heated mirrors on the market. Most similar mirrors cost upwards of $200 and are not available for the shower. I estimate that the cost of producing the Defoginator would near $10.00 if mass produced based on the cost of the mirror, blades, electronics, waterproof casing, hanger, and labor. Based on this cost, the Defoginator would likely wind up for sale at a retail store for $29.99. I find this price to be extremely appealing considering the influence it may have on a person's success in the future. The high tech version of the Defoginator would cost somewhere around 130% the cost of the basic Defoginator.
2)
The opportunity that has become the primary goal for this venture is clearly the problem of steam filling the bathroom and causing the mirrors to be too foggy to use. This has impacted countless men who need to be able to see their reflection clearly in order to shave, and often causes men and women to be late for events due to the difficulties. There are certainly some changing environmental factors that may allow the opportunity to be particularly valuable soon. As products around the house start becoming automated or connected via the Internet, the bathroom is the best place to exploit before it becomes too common. The window of opportunity for this product is slim, but I would say that it depends on which market I target.
Regarding the Defoginator, the primary innovation that I have in mind is a variation and improvement on the wiper blade system that is found in all cars. Additionally, there are existing bathroom mirrors with a blade that clears the fog from the mirror, but what makes the Defoginator superior is that it is meant to be used in the shower. With a waterproof casing, drop-proof mirror, portable size, and detachable hanger the Defoginator is the only type of mirror that can be regularly used without difficulty inside of a running shower. Beyond this ability, the product may include Bluetooth capabilities enabling users to choose wiper speed, rate, and other customizations via cell phone app. Currently I envision two variations on the Defoginator being offered to consumers. Both would feature all of the main components, but the more expensive version would be Bluetooth integrated. For the primary Defoginator, the cost of building it is low compared to the similar heated mirrors on the market. Most similar mirrors cost upwards of $200 and are not available for the shower. I estimate that the cost of producing the Defoginator would near $10.00 if mass produced based on the cost of the mirror, blades, electronics, waterproof casing, hanger, and labor. Based on this cost, the Defoginator would likely wind up for sale at a retail store for $29.99. I find this price to be extremely appealing considering the influence it may have on a person's success in the future. The high tech version of the Defoginator would cost somewhere around 130% the cost of the basic Defoginator.
Regarding the potential for the venture concept, I believe that the product could be successful if people choose it as an alternative to wasting time in the morning or when they are in a rush. This is eternally valuable because time is money. I think that it will be hard to convince people that its worth buying, but so far I have been surprised how eager people are to use a product like the Defoginator. The secret sauce that will elevate the Defoginator from its competitors is clearly the fact that it is made to be used in the shower, and will soon have a patent to ensure its the only one of its kind. Next in the path to reaching customers, I plan to further develop the design and marketing plan for the venture. Additionally, I am considering opening the concept to a line of products outside of the bathroom. Five years from now I expect the Defoginator to have either failed, succeeded, or changed into something different entirely.
2)
I received droves of positive feedback on most of my posts, but found some constructive criticism in peers and other sources. The primary suggestion I received was regarding the value of the product in a multi-person home. I found that many women would buy the product if it was marketed towards them, and that spouses would benefit mutually from the product. Additionally, some interviews yielded responses that simply told me the problem was not significant enough for people to spend money on. My final reflection led me to focus on integrating Bluetooth technology into the Defoginator, simply due to the movement towards connected devices in households. Beyond these insights, I received multiple responses focusing on the portability of the Defoginator.
3)
I directly changed the design and features of the Defoginator based on the responses I received, in addition to adjusting the marketing focus. Based on feedback from my peers, I decided to make the Defoginator a mirror meant for use in the shower instead of simply for bathroom use. Also, I adjusted my target audience multiple times based on feedback. The feedback that I received at all points in the term prompted me to change my product.
I directly changed the design and features of the Defoginator based on the responses I received, in addition to adjusting the marketing focus. Based on feedback from my peers, I decided to make the Defoginator a mirror meant for use in the shower instead of simply for bathroom use. Also, I adjusted my target audience multiple times based on feedback. The feedback that I received at all points in the term prompted me to change my product.

Hey Joseph! I think you are going in the right direction to make your product more appealing. As far as the integration for Bluetooth and connectivity, you could potentially get it hooked up to smart home devices such as the Google Home or the Echo Dot so it is prepped for when someone is about to get in the shower. Having a cheaper alternative and a more expensive version is also a very good idea. Bluetooth isn't something that this product needs, but as you said people are moving towards connectivity and creating a household that is all electronic, so having the option is a great idea.
ReplyDeleteHey!
ReplyDeleteI think you have this all planned out really well. I like that in your reflection, you used the feedback that you got and ended up changing the use of your product to appeal to a broader market. I feel like sometimes, the only way to see a better opportunity is by getting the idea (in a way) from someone else. Great post!