16 What's My Secret Sauce?
When asked to list the parts of me that I find to be valuable and unique, I instantly think of the achievements that I have listed on my resume. I must include some of these skills, but the truly unique human capital goes beyond just that.
1. I'm an Eagle Scout
Each person that finds out I'm an Eagle Scout perceives me differently based on the fact. The countless hours spent on skills that I did not even realize were valuable at the time truly shaped me into the man I am today. Day to day I meet and interact with people, and find out that skills I thought to be common knowledge are unknown to many. I find this a valuable form of human capital because I have entered adulthood with a set of skills that can help carry me through tasks that may others might struggle with.
2. I strive to finish everything that I start
This is a value that I inherited from my mother, as she taught me to put my heart behind everything that I do. I believe that this skill is unique to me because many people approach challenges with the mentality of making a choice to push on or quit. Instead I strive to only push on until the job is done each and every time.
3. Balance of opinion
One part of society that I feel strongly about is the way that people communicate and perceive others. Too many times I see adults in my life locked in conflict and so many times unwilling to budge. Because of what I observed in my childhood, I have always put the most effort into having balance when I communicate with people and exchange opinions. It is important to me that not only my opinions are well balanced, but that I accept the words of others with good will and reflect upon myself. If you cannot accept criticism in your work, you will never be able to improve.
4. Freedom of Speech
Being the child of an attorney, I was raised to know and respect the US Constitutional Law above all. The part that I always found to be the most important is the right to freedom of speech. Not only do I promote others to express themselves fully using this right, but I strive to utilize it myself as often as possible. Essentially, I continually speak my mind and refrain from holding back what I find to be important. Not once have I been afraid to say how I feel to anyone.
5. Embracing my mistakes
Finally I prioritize reflection and acceptance of failure in my life. Without accepting my mistakes and reflecting upon my past actions, I would never be able to improve myself. This is something that I do on a daily basis, and find to be a valuable form of human capital. Few people reflect upon themselves, and rarely accept their past mistakes willingly, which can lead to more problems in the future. This principle is rooted in primary school for me, because each time I failed a test I knew that the only way for me to do better the next time was to change my actions.
The five qualities that I chose above were based upon the findings of my interviews. Each interview gave me a deeper understanding of how my peers perceive me and feel about me. Almost all of the interviews told me that my friends are often observant of my work ethic and interest in academics. Also, I found that my peers are observant of my interest in outdoors activities and can see the value in the skills I have acquired from scouting.
There is certainly a difference between the way other people see me and the way that I see myself. Possibly due to the fact that I was taking the interview, my peers were particularly positive about my skills. Towards myself I'm much more critical and willing to accept criticism. This basically told me that the people who know me best will only give me the criticism I need if I make it known that I want to receive it. I'm glad to know that those close to me are observant of my outdoors skills and music interest, in addition to my strong work ethic and personality.

Comments
Post a Comment