Bug list
Assignment 2A Bug List
1. Gainesville tap water tastes swampy
Why it's a bug? The swamp water is likely the largest source of freshwater in Gainesville.
2. Instant of feeling extremely cold after exiting a shower
Why it's a bug? Bathing water is most comfortable at higher than room temperature, so the room temperature when you exit feels like freezing by comparison. In addition, most bathrooms in Florida are not made with a heater.
Why it's a bug? At some times the dumpster that is at the bottom of the trash chute has to be moved outside to be emptied, which is why the chute is locked at certain times.
Why it's a bug? Chick-fil-a is popular, and customers generally prefer to take the drive thru. One restaurant can only produce at a certain rate so if there are many customers at any given time there will likely be an extended queue.
5. The majority of courses required for my major at UF are only offered online
Why it's a bug? There are not enough classrooms or professors to offer live lecturers for every class, because of the excessive number of students that are allowed to be enrolled in the university.
6. Slow drivers in the left lane on the highway
Why it's a bug? Drivers may get lazy or distracted while passing another vehicle and forget to return to the right lane.
7. People who don't clean up their trash before leaving a table at a restaurant
Why it's a bug? Many customers expect the restaurant employees to clean each table, but this is only true for restaurants with table service.
8. Lack of convenient parking for UF students living on campus
Why it's a bug? The parking zones on the UF campus are primarily for the benefit of employees (orange decal), but there is not enough parking near each dorm to accommodate students who live there.
9. People who use treadmills for long periods of time while only walking
Why it's a bug? Gym-goers may be lazy or oblivious to others which is why they choose to take up workout equipment in the gym when others need it more. Walking can be done at any location (even the gym floor), unlike running or jogging.
10. The existence of a snooze button
Why it's a bug? Since the invention of the alarm clock, consumers have become accustomed to having a "snooze" button on alarms. This is a tool, but in my opinion the world would be better off without it.
11. Cost of repairing valuable electronics is often greater than the device value
Why it's a bug? Large tech manufacturers and technicians work in a field that requires extensive training and expertise, so their prices can be significantly greater than the cost on their end. Specifically with repairs, the cost of the new parts combined with the cost of service can easily add up to a sum greater than the initial price of the item.
12. Scooter/moped drivers who ignore traffic laws
Why it's a bug? Particularly college students that drive scooter/mopeds, are likely going short distances on the vehicle, and have the ability to maneuver where full sized vehicles cannot. Because of these reasons, the drivers often drive as if they are above the law.
13. Restaurant servers that take your drink order and disappear for 20 minutes
Why it's a bug? Servers can often get a customers drink order before looking at a menu, but this is a poor excuse to tend to other tables for extended periods of time before returning to take the full order.
14. Waking up in my own sweat
Why it's a bug? The air temperature in a room can change throughout the night and into the morning. In addition, people often change their position and blanket arrangement while asleep. These are both changes that could cause someone to wake up sweaty.
15. Receiving junk mail in my main email inbox
Why it's a bug? Most email types are fairly consistent at filtering out unwanted emails and sending them to the junk inbox, but sometimes one may get through to my primary inbox by mistake, which can be dangerous and confusing if the message contains a virus.
16. Parents who let their children be obnoxious in public
Why it's a bug? The most likely reason that this bug exists (given that I have never had or cared for a child), is because of parents who may be overwhelmed or frustrated with their children. In most cases that I come in contact with obnoxious children, the parents have likely already attempted to control them and failed.
17. Websites that force me to create a new more secure password
Why it's a bug? As technology advances it is easier and easier for hackers to figure out our internet passwords, so the sites must force users to make passwords that are more difficult to determine.
18. People who ride bicycles on the sidewalk
Why it's a bug? The cyclers must be afraid of cars, or riding in the street. The sidewalk is for pedestrians only.
19. Waiting on hold for upwards of 30 minutes to speak with SFA
Why it's a bug? There is never a time of the year that no students are concerned about financial affairs, which is why there are usually more than 10 students on hold when you attempt to call.
20. Forgetting to plug in my phone before I go to bed
Why it's a bug? It is easy to fall asleep in this day and age with a cell phone in your hand, which could mean its not charging. Also, when sleep deprived, it can be easy to simply pass out and wake up the next morning with a dead phone.
Reflection:
This bug list provoked a good amount of self reflection. Specifically, the difficulties with summoning twenty different bugs that I experience in my life. I found that after the first five bugs, which came quite easily for me, I had difficulty remembering other things that bug me. I believe that this is due to my personality. In day to day activities I often focus on how I can improve myself and my community, which is why I try not to let bugs that are out of my control impact me. In order to summon the remaining fifteen bugs I decided to search my memories for bugs that I chose to ignore or suppress because I had little say over the issue. Once I searched myself for those events, I had no problem remembering countless bugs that I had chosen not to dwell on in the past. This assignment was definitely difficult for me, but if I had to do it a second time with twenty different bugs I would find it easier than the first time.

Hey Joseph,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post and how you went right after the everyday issues we face with normal problems and circumstances. I especially liked the one you posted about getting out of the shower because I got a good laugh out of that one. Probably because each one of us could relate to that scenario. However, I think the class will eventually be more suited for ideas like your eighth bug where your directly stating an issue we can all relate to because of our location. Overall, I enjoyed this and I am looking forward to your future posts.
Hey Joe, I really enjoyed reading through you bug list because I can relate to a lot of them! One the bug about chik fil a, they opened a new one on archer so the line should be better:) UF related bugs like the parking, really got to me because it is a huge issue impacting students performance. Looking forward to more posts!
ReplyDeleteHey Joe! I really relate to a lot of the things you have here. I often go to Chik-Fil-A for lunch and it's always a madhouse in there. I am not sure if they have an online ordering service but that would definitely help beat the rush!. I also really like how your opportunity idea comes from your bug list. You saw an opportunity and you are going to fix it. Great job overall!
ReplyDelete