4A Forming Opportunity Belief

    One part of day to day activities that I believe could involve an opportunity is the difficulties that are rooted in the difference in temperature between the water that people bathe in and the air in the bathroom. 
     I believe that there is an unmet need concerning the problems caused by taking a hot shower in a cool bathroom. The two primary problems caused by this temperature difference are foggy mirrors and the feeling of intense cold after exiting the warm shower. This could be a problem for almost anyone with the exception of those who live in tropical climates or prefer to shower in room temperature water. I believe that this likely became a need when the combination of heated plumbing and air conditioning became normal for most households. Although the need may have existed in some cases before these innovations, it wasn't until hot water and AC combined that this need became widespread. From personal experiences, I know that there are temperature regulated bathrooms and mirrors that do not accumulate condensation but for the most part these are luxuries only affordable for the top ten percent. I'm 100% certain that this need exists, but factoring in the existing solutions to the need I would say that I'm 65% sure that there is an existing opportunity to more effectively and affordably meet the need. 


     I have determined that the prototypical customer would be any person who usually bathes in an air conditioned bathroom and prefers water that is warmer than room temperature. Specifically, those who meet these criteria, feel cold after exiting the shower, and have to defog the bathroom mirror. 

Interview 1: 

Ryan, M, 20, Student
     The need should be solved because the customer suffers from the cold temperature and foggy mirror daily and believes that the need being met would help many others with similar experiences. The cold air hinders the customer from getting out of the shower, in turn causing him to spend more time than planned in the shower. When the customer switched from taking tub baths as a child to showering as an adolescent was the first time that this need was observed. This need is present every time the customer takes a shower. Currently the customer tries to quickly retrieve a towel to get warm in after exiting the shower, and uses the towel to clear off the mirror. The current solution is easy, but frustrating and does not assure a clear mirror every time. 
   Reflection: After speaking with the prototypical customer I recorded responses that I was expecting, but was surprised to learn more about the opportunity than I did before. Most notably, I found that the customer relies on towels to reduce the cold feeling after exiting and to clear the mirror. This I found interesting because focusing on towels may be the best way to meet the need. 

Interview 2: Evan, M, 19, Student
     In the customers day to day life the need is present and specifically the foggy mirror proves to be difficult. When trying to shave the customer often feels frustrated because the foggy mirror makes it difficult to see. Starting in middle school the customer found difficulty seeing clearly in a foggy mirror, which made shaving difficult. This need is found every time that the customer needs to shave. Currently the customer uses a towel to clean off the foggy mirror, and also tries to quickly cover his body with a towel after exiting the shower. The current solution does not fully satisfy the customer, but is living with it. Additionally this customer stated that the problem he is experiencing causes him to use more towels than he would like to. 
    Reflection: This customer shared many experiences with the first customer, but felt a greater need to reduce the condensation on his mirror because of difficulty seeing clearly while shaving. I found that there is a significant need for men regarding the clarity of their bathroom mirrors. Additionally, this has sparked my interest in the need for men's shaving tools. 

Interview 3:  

Andrea, F, 20 
     The customer stated that the cold air and foggy mirror effect them frequently. As a child the customer took baths, so it was not until a later age that the customer began showering which resulted in the need. This need is present every time that the customer bathes. The first time that the need was visible to the customer was at the beginning of their teenage years. Currently, the customer intentionally drys off inside the shower because the steam is trapped in the space making it warmer. After drying off the customer uses a "fluffy"robe to stay warm. Additionally, the customer chooses to use a mirror outside the bathroom to get ready after showering. The customer stated that she would choose to use a mirror outside the bathroom even if the bathroom mirror was not foggy. 
     Reflection: Upon finishing my interview, I had learned more about the opportunity as it pertains to females. Specifically the fact that women (or people who use makeup) may have a separate mirror in their room for getting ready in the morning, which would make a foggy bathroom mirror irrelevant. Additionally, the concept of trapping the warm air in the shower until you're dry sparked my interest. The customer did not have this need until she began to take showers, as was the same for the two other interviewees.  
     Since initially identifying the opportunity, the results of each interview have shifted my belief. Specifically I want to shift my focus to the foggy mirror as it affects men who rely on a clear mirror in order to shave. The root cause of the need is still the combination of hot shower water and AC in the bathroom, but the need is simply regarding the clarity of the bathroom mirror. I believe that my new opportunity is more specific than when I started, and more accurately identifies a single widespread need. For other entrepreneurs identifying opportunities and recording customer feedback, it is important to adjust opportunities based on the feedback, but to an extent. Obviously, if the vast majority of customers giving feedback respond to one component poorly, then the entrepreneur should adjust the opportunity accordingly. This does not mean that entrepreneurs should change their entire opportunity belief based on one or two customers that gave compelling feedback. Most importantly, the entrepreneur should be catering to the target customers' needs and desires. 

Comments

  1. Hi Joseph! I really like this idea. It's an opportunity that I didn't think I needed until I read your post. It is very inconvenient to get out of the shower and have to wait for your mirror to defog before I can shave, especially since I need to be clean shaven for my job daily. This seems like something that almost anyone could use as well. Perhaps something that could deal with the steam entirely, maybe a small machine that filters everything and stops the root cause of the foggy mirror. As for the typical customer, women would not be the main selling point so there is room for improvement in catering to them. Perhaps the defogging object could have another function like a scent diffuser as well so that it could reach a wider audience. While this product could cater just to men I believe it would be best to integrate something for everyone. Overall great idea and blog post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts